Sect.2 q.2 - cantilever I-section

• Thread starter studentlife
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cantilever
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the centroid and second moment of area for an I-section beam, as well as using compression data to find the force "F". The first part involves determining the distance from the base to the middle of the cross section, taking into account the distribution of mass. The second part requires knowledge of statics and the second moment of area to calculate the moment at the point where the beam fixes to the wall. The third part involves using the summation of forces and the distance to the centroid to find the force "F" in the compression data.
studentlife
hello all

followin my quest to teach myself all about beams etc iv come across this it seems straight forward well, first bit does anyway :)

is it basicaly looking at the cross section of the I-section and stating the distance from the base to the middle??

forthe second part do you jus write the formula for the moment where the I-section fixes to the wall using the first "F"

and the third has baffled me, i have no idea where to use the compression data to find the force "F"

Attachments

• mjhgkjhgfckjhgc.JPG
    mjhgkjhgfckjhgc.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 463
Physics news on Phys.org
studentlife said:
is it basicaly looking at the cross section of the I-section and stating the distance from the base to the middle??
I am assuming you mean part A here. The centroid is going to be the center of mass of the cross section of the beam. If the beam is completely symmetric then what you said is correct. However, in your case, it is not symmetric about the horizontal axis. This means that the centroid is going to move towards the side with more mass. So the centroid will be displaced slightly lower than the center of the section. Do you know how to do the calculations?

studentlife said:
forthe second part do you jus write the formula for the moment where the I-section fixes to the wall using the first "F"
You need to read up on your statics to find out what the 2nd moment of the area is. It is a numerical description of the distribution of mass about a reference axis and helps determine how resistant to bending a beam will be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_moment_of_area
http://www2.umist.ac.uk/construction/intranet/teaching/ul222/exp/2maex.htm

studentlife said:
and the third has baffled me, i have no idea where to use the compression data to find the force "F"
The top of the beam is going to be in compression and the bottom of the beam will be in tension. Even though he shouldn't have posted answers like that, take a look at Lax's post. Make sure you understand how the summation of forces comes out and how the distance to the centroid comes into play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello! It seems like you are on the right track with your understanding of a cantilever I-section. The first part is indeed referring to the cross section of the beam and the distance from the base to the middle, also known as the depth of the beam. As for the second part, you are correct in writing the formula for the moment at the point where the I-section is fixed to the wall. This formula will involve the first "F", which represents the force acting on the beam at that point. The third part may be referring to the compression data of the beam, which can be used to determine the maximum force that the beam can withstand before it starts to deform or fail. This information can then be used to calculate the value of "F" in the moment formula. I hope this helps clarify things for you. Keep up the good work in teaching yourself about beams and their properties!

1. What is a cantilever I-section?

A cantilever I-section is a structural element that is commonly used in engineering and construction. It consists of a horizontal beam (the I-section) that is supported at only one end (the cantilever). This type of section is often used in bridges, buildings, and other structures to create a strong, stable support for a horizontal load.

2. How does a cantilever I-section differ from other types of structural elements?

A cantilever I-section differs from other types of structural elements in that it is only supported at one end, while other types of beams are supported at both ends. This allows for a longer span and can be more cost-effective in certain situations.

3. What materials are commonly used for cantilever I-sections?

Cantilever I-sections can be made from a variety of materials, including steel, wood, and concrete. Each material has its own unique properties and advantages, and the choice of material will depend on the specific application and design requirements.

4. What are the advantages of using a cantilever I-section?

One of the main advantages of using a cantilever I-section is its ability to span longer distances without the need for additional supports. This makes it a popular choice for bridges and other structures that require a long, uninterrupted span. Additionally, the use of a cantilever I-section can also reduce the overall weight and cost of a structure.

5. What are the limitations of a cantilever I-section?

While a cantilever I-section has many advantages, it also has some limitations. The main limitation is that it can only support loads on one end. This means that it may not be suitable for certain applications where a symmetrical load is required. Additionally, the longer the span of the cantilever, the more likely it is to experience deflection and bending, which can affect its structural integrity.